Table of Contents
It’s been a while since I posted. Since then, photup has been release to Google Play, and after some initial slowness has slowly been gaining traction. That was until last week, when two things happened: Facebook’s Android app updates, and I released a dodgy update. The Facebook Android app update doesn’t really worry me that much, it doesn’t do everything I want and I think photup feels much more intuitive anyway. The dodgy update (v1.5.2) has a bit of a balls-up from me, basically I enabled some optimisations in the PhotoProcessing lib I use, which seems to break on certain devices. Woops!
Why I created photup…#
photup was always been an experiment for me. It had been a while since I started a Android project from a clean codebase and I felt like I needed to remind myself why I create Android apps. It also gave me an opportunity to have a play with some libraries (Lightbox’s PhotoProcessing), and code up some ideas ( Android-BitmapMemoryCache). As with every other personal project of mine, I also started it because it fulfilled a function I needed: batch uploader for Facebook with some edit functions.
I thought this post might be a nice opportunities to share some stats. The graphs below are taken from Facebook Insights analytics which they provide to App developers. I prefer it to Google Play’s stats as Facebook have much more information about you (age, demographic) but also has built-in support for telling me how many photos are uploaded daily.